Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Fixing some bugs from my past

A few moons ago, I was a mechanic for the US Army, fixing beautiful machines that fly everywhere in the world (to see my specific job, what this video). When I first started, all records and logs where kept on paper, leaving little room for computer error, but a lot for human error. Uncle Sam decided digital was the way to go, and ULLS-A(E) (Unit Level Logistics System- Aviation (Enhanced)) was born (as far as I know).

If you go to the Software Engineering Center- Lee website, it gives you a brief rundown of how/what helps it all work. If you don't want to go, it's written in the .NET framework using Microsoft SQL as the database. Working as both an end-user and database administrator, I saw a lot of issues in the program. While no program is perfect, this one can use a lot more work. Linking different components together to increase operational readiness would be the biggest selling point, but I have no idea where to start.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Not quite sure what the problem description is. Logistics for Aircraft Powerplant Repairers? Keeping full logs of engines, problems, stock, inventory etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the idea of going paperless. I'm so fed up with all the waste the military has.

    ReplyDelete