Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What got me to this point

Seeing how this is the first time I've written a "blog" since the days of Xanga, I'll give a small background and where I hope to go of myself. I grew up in many great places, but mostly on the beautiful island of Oahu. I do have two children, ages 9 and 2, that mean the world to me and are the reason I joined and got out of the military. I didn't entertain the option of going to college right out of high school because I had no clue what I really wanted to do. I was always good with numbers, but math wasn't something I saw as a way of earning a boatload of money. On top of that, my 9 year old was born when I was 18, so I started a little early. What got me seriously interested in Computer Science was the time I spent in Korea as a Database/Network administrator. Working with MySQL and the program SCP6, that opened my eyes to the world of possibilities of what computers can truly do, and help with my number obsession.

But where does that lead us to from here? My first experience with programming since the days of MS-DOS in mid-90s was just a year ago with Java. And now, I get introduced to a great scripting language Ruby. But do I really see Ruby taking me to where I want to go? I can see how Ruby would work for Software as a Service, and quick fixes for software that's blasted to a bazillion different computers. Where does this all lead? Only time will tell

No comments:

Post a Comment